Spicy Lamb and Eggplant Kabobs
By Chris Luther / March 3, 2015.
Recipe by Jamie Purviance
Serves: 4 to 6 // Prep time: 20 minutes | Marinating time: 2 hours | Grilling time: about 8 minutes | Special equipment: twelve 10-inch metal or bamboo skewers
- ½ cup minced scallions (white and light green parts only)
- ⅓ cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon chili oil
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon peeled, minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon packed dark brown sugar
- 1-½ teaspoons minced garlic
- 1-½ pounds boneless leg of lamb, cut into 1¼-inch cubes
- 1 globe eggplant, about 8 ounces, cut into 1¼-inch cubes
- Kosher salt
- Vegetable oil
- In a large bowl whisk the marinade ingredients. Add the lamb and turn to coat thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Prepare the grill for direct cooking over high heat (450° to 550°F).
- In a medium bowl combine the eggplant with ¼ teaspoon salt and just enough oil to coat them lightly.
- Add ½ teaspoon salt to the bowl with the lamb and stir. Remove the lamb from the bowl and discard the marinade. Thread the lamb and eggplant onto skewers, alternating the ingredients.
- Brush the cooking grates clean. Grill the skewers over direct high heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until cooked to your desired doneness, about 8 minutes for medium rare, turning four times to brown all sides. Remove from the grill and season with salt. Serve warm.