Rotisserie Five-Spice Chicken
By Chris Luther / March 3, 2015.
Recipe from Weber's Real Grilling™ by Jamie Purviance
Serves: 4 // Prep time: 20 minutes | Marinating time: 4 to 6 hours | Grilling time: 1 to 1¼ hours | Special equipment: butcher's twine, rotisserie, instant-read thermometer
- ¼ cup orange juice concentrate, defrosted
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 whole chicken, about 4 pounds
- In a medium bowl whisk the marinade ingredients.
- Remove and discard the wing tips, giblets and any excess fat from the chicken. Place the chicken in a large, resealable plastic bag, and pour in the marinade. Press the air out of the bag and seal it tightly. Turn the bag several times to coat the chicken evenly with the marinade. Place the bag in a bowl and refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours, turning the bag occasionally.
- Prepare the grill for indirect cooking over high heat (450° to 550°F).
- Remove the chicken from the bag and discard the marinade. Truss the chicken with butcher's twine. Following the grill’s instructions, secure the chicken in the middle of the rotisserie’s spit, put the spit in place, and turn the rotisserie on. Let the chicken rotate over indirect high heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until the juices run clear and the internal temperature reaches 160° to 165°F in the thickest part of the thigh (not touching the bone), 1 to 1¼ hours. Check the chicken after 30 minutes; if the skin is browning too quickly, reduce the heat to medium (350° to 450°F).
- When the chicken is fully cooked, turn off the rotisserie and, using thick pot holders, remove the spit from the grill. Slide the chicken from the spit onto a cutting board, being careful not to splatter yourself with the hot juices. Let the chicken rest for 5 to 10 minutes (the internal temperature will rise 5 to 10 degrees during this time). Cut into serving pieces and serve warm.