Charmoula-Marinated Pork Chops with Grilled Pepper Mélange
By Chris Luther / March 3, 2015.
Recipe by Jamie Purviance
Serves: 4 // Prep time: 20 minutes | Marinating time: 4 to 12 hours | Grilling time: 18 to 22 minutes
- ⅓ cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- ⅓ cup roughly chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 4 bone-in pork loin chops, each about 8 ounces and 1 inch thick, trimmed of excess fat
- 3 bell peppers, preferably 1 yellow, 1 red, and 1 orange, each cut into 4 planks
- 1 medium red onion, cut crosswise into ½-inch slices
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- In a small bowl combine the marinade ingredients. Spread the marinade evenly on both sides of the chops. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to 12 hours.
- Brush the bell pepper planks and onion slices with 3 tablespoons oil.
- Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat (350° to 450°F).
- Brush the cooking grates clean. Grill the peppers and onion over direct medium heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until well marked and tender, turning once. The peppers will take 8 to 9 minutes and the onion will take 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the grill as they are done. Cut the vegetables into bite-sized pieces and place them in a medium bowl. Add the vinegar, sugar, basil, and ¼ teaspoon of the salt. Mix well.
- Allow the chops to stand at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes before grilling. Season the chops with the remaining ½ teaspoon salt and the pepper. Grill the chops over direct medium heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until they are still slightly pink in the center, 8 to 10 minutes, turning once or twice. Remove from the grill and let rest for 3 to 5 minutes. Serve warm with the grilled pepper mélange.