Spicy Sesame Chicken Wings with Cucumber Salad
By Chris Luther / March 3, 2015.
Recipe by Jamie Purviance
Serves: 4 // Prep time: 30 minutes | Marinating time: 20 to 30 minutes | Grilling time: 20 to 25 minutes
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 5 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped scallions
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon hot chile-garlic sauce, such as Sriracha
- 2 teaspoons peeled, grated fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2½ pounds chicken wings, wing tips removed
- 1 English cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeds removed, and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon peeled, grated fresh ginger
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup finely diced red onion
- In a large bowl combine the glaze ingredients. Pour all but ⅓ cup of the glaze into a large resealable plastic bag. Place the wings in the bag with the glaze. Press the air out of the bag and seal tightly. Turn the bag to distribute the glaze, and marinate at room temperature for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Place the cucumber slices in a colander set over a bowl, toss evenly with the salt, and allow to stand for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Prepare the grill for direct and indirect cooking over medium heat (350° to 450°F).
- In a medium bowl whisk the rice vinegar, vegetable and sesame oils, ginger, garlic, honey, soy sauce, pepper, and onion. Rinse and drain the cucumber, then pat dry. Transfer to the medium bowl with the salad dressing and toss to coat.
- Brush the cooking grates clean. Grill the wings over direct medium heat, with the lid closed, until golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes, turning once or twice. Move the wings over indirect medium heat and continue grilling until the skin is dark brown and crisp and the meat is no longer pink at the bone, about 10 minutes more. Transfer the wings to the large bowl with the reserved ⅓ cup glaze and toss to coat. Serve the wings warm with the cucumber salad.