Sausage Medley with Mushroom and Onion Kabobs
By Chris Luther / March 3, 2015.
Recipe by Jamie Purviance
Serves: 4 // Prep time: 25 minutes | Grilling time: 10 to 16 minutes | Special equipment: 4 long metal or bamboo skewers
- 1 cup spicy brown mustard
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons dark agave nectar
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 8–10 assorted fresh sausages, such as hot or sweet Italian sausages or bratwurst, about 2 pounds total
- 8–10 ounces cremini mushrooms, stems trimmed
- 1 large onion, cut into 8 wedges, each wedge cut crosswise in half
- 1 jar (32 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed well with cold water, drained, and warmed
- Assorted mustards, such as whole-grain Dijon, horseradish mustard, or honey mustard
- If using bamboo skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes.
- Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat (350° to 450°F).
- In a medium bowl whisk the mustard, oil, agave nectar, and thyme. Transfer one-third of the mixture to a small bowl for brushing over the skewers and sausages before grilling. Reserve the remaining mixture for serving.
- Thread all of the mushrooms onto two of the skewers, and all of the onions onto the other two skewers.
- Brush the sausages and the vegetables evenly with the mustard mixture set aside in the small bowl.
- Grill the sausages and the vegetable kabobs over direct medium heat, with the lid closed, until the sausages are thoroughly cooked and the mushrooms are tender and lightly browned, 8 to 12 minutes, turning occasionally. The onion kabobs may need an additional 2 to 4 minutes.
- Put the sausages and kabobs on a large platter with the reserved mustard-thyme mixture for dipping and the warm sauerkraut alongside. Serve with the assorted mustards.