Korean Pork Barbecue
By Chris Luther / March 3, 2015.
Recipe by Jamie Purviance
Serves: 4 // Prep time: 10 minutes | Marinating time: 8 to 12 hours | Grilling time: 8 to 10 minutes
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons packed golden brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- ¼ teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 4 bone-in pork shoulder blade steaks, each about 12 ounces and ½ inch thick
- 1 head green or red leaf lettuce
- ½ cup hot bean paste (optional)
- 2 cups kimchi (pickled cabbage)
- In a medium bowl whisk the marinade ingredients, making sure to dissolve the sugar completely.
- Put the steaks in a large, resealable plastic bag and pour in the marinade. Press the air out of the bag and seal tightly. Turn the bag to distribute the marinade, place in a bowl, and refrigerate for 8 to 12 hours, turning occasionally.
- Allow the steaks to stand at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes before grilling.
- Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat (350° to 450°F).
- Remove the steaks from the bag and discard the marinade. Brush the cooking grates clean. Grill the steaks over direct medium heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until no longer pink in the center, 8 to 10 minutes, turning once or twice. Remove from the grill and let rest for 3 to 5 minutes. Slice the steaks into bite-sized pieces.
- Pick a whole lettuce leaf, spread a little bean paste on top (if desired), arrange some steak and kimchi in the middle, and roll it up.