Hot, Sweet, and Sticky Chicken Wings
By Chris Luther / March 3, 2015.
Recipe from Weber's Big Book of Grilling™ by Jamie Purviance and Sandra S. McRae
Serves: 6 to 8 // Prep time: 10 minutes | Grilling time: 14 to 26 minutes
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons pure chilli powder
- 20 chicken wings, about 3 pounds total, wing tips removed
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- In a medium bowl whisk the marinade ingredients. Place the wings in a large, resealable plastic bag and pour in the marinade. Press the air out of the bag and seal tightly. Turn the bag to distribute the marinade, place in a bowl, and refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours, turning occasionally.
- Prepare the grill for direct and indirect cooking over medium heat (350° to 450°F).
- Remove the wings from the bag and discard the marinade. Lightly brush the wings with oil. Brush the cooking grates clean. Sear the wings over direct medium heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until well marked, 4 to 6 minutes, turning once. Then move them over indirect medium heat and continue cooking until the meat is no longer pink at the bone, 10 to 20 minutes, turning once or twice. If desired, during the final few minutes, move the wings over direct medium heat to crisp the skin a bit more, turning once or twice. Remove from the grill and serve warm.