Grilled Scallops with Pea Pesto over Angel Hair Pasta
By Chris Luther / March 3, 2015.
Recipe by Jamie Purviance
Serves: 4 // Prep time: 20 minutes | Grilling time: 4 to 6 minutes
- 8 ounces dried angel hair pasta
- Kosher salt
- 8 ounces frozen peas
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 sea scallops, each about 2 ounces
- ¼ cup chopped fresh chives
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil for the pasta. Bring a small saucepan of salted water to a boil for the peas. Cook the peas until tender, about 3 minutes. Drain the peas, reserving ¼ cup of the cooking water. Transfer the peas and the reserved cooking water to a food processor along with the lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of the oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and the pepper. Process until thoroughly blended. Return the pea pesto to the small saucepan and keep warm.
- Prepare the grill for direct cooking over high heat (450° to 550°F).
- Blot the scallops dry, and remove and discard the tough side muscle that might be left on each one. Brush the scallops on both sides with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil.
- Cook the pasta until al dente, according to package directions.
- Brush the cooking grates clean. Grill the scallops over direct high heat, with the lid closed, until they are cooked through and just opaque in the center, 4 to 6 minutes, turning once. Remove from the grill. Drain the pasta, reserving ¼ cup of the cooking water. Toss the pasta, the reserved cooking water, and the pea pesto together. Top the pasta with the scallops, and garnish with the chives and bacon.