Greek Garlic Chicken
By Chris Luther / March 3, 2015.
Recipe from Weber's Big Book of Grilling™ by Jamie Purviance and Sandra S. McRae
Serves: 4 // Prep time: 10 minutes | Grilling time: 40 to 50 minutes
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon black olive tapenade
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 whole chicken, about 4 pounds, neck, giblets and excess fat removed
- In a medium bowl whisk the marinade ingredients.
- Cut the chicken into eight pieces: two breast pieces, two thigh pieces, two drumsticks, and two wings. Remove and discard the wing tips. Place the chicken pieces in a large, resealable plastic bag and pour in the marinade. Press the air out the bag and seal tightly. Turn the bag to distribute the marinade, place in a bowl, and refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours, turning occasionally.
- Remove the chicken from the bag and reserve the marinade. Pour the marinade into a small saucepan, bring to a boil, and boil for 1 full minute. Set aside.
- Prepare the grill for indirect cooking over medium heat (350° to 450°F).
- Brush the cooking grates clean. Grill the chicken pieces, skin side up, over indirect medium heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until the juices run clear and the meat is no longer pink at the bone. The drumsticks and thighs will take 40 to 50 minutes and the breasts and wings will take 30 to 40 minutes. Baste with the boiled marinade during the last 10 to 20 minutes of grilling time. Remove from the grill and serve warm with orzo, a Greek salad, and pita bread, if desired.